Vicki's Secrets and Surprises

This little corner of space in cyberland is dedicated to a life of rejuvenating and reclaiming all that is beautiful and good for the soul. An inspired life at work, play, and home that celebrates God's love for His Creation is depicted within its content.

Monday, February 23, 2009

Reinventing, Re-grouping, Reclaiming

I just recently had a birthday. This particular birthday ushered in a new me. With more than a half century under my belt, it was time to reinvent my life and restore balance. Why was this birthday more special and note-worthy for me? I believe it's because I retired this year from a rewarding, demanding and challenging career as a public school principal. I spent the last 25 years of my life serving others...children...teachers...parents...communities. In the latter years of my career, I forgot how important it was to keep my life balanced and take care of myself. I gained a lot of weight, added several prescription medications to my medicine cabinet, and abandoned my spiritual life all because I gave everything I had within me to everything other than myself. And, I finally collapsed physically, mentally and spiritually. The meds I took were for depression, anxiety, high blood pressure, acid reflux, and high cholesterol...all stress induced conditions of the body and mind. Through a healthy change in lifestyle, I have been able to drop several of those medications.

During the last 9 months I have turned inward to answer the question, "who am I...really?" My self-analysis encouraged me to begin purging bad habits and bad thinking...I began to question and evaluate other areas of my life such as, what were my failures? What would I do differently if given the opportunity? Did I do my best...give all that I could? Was I loved...did I love in return? Did I run the race and soar like an eagle? Did I live a balanced life? The answers to those questions gave me insight into how I intend to spend the remaining 50+ years on this earth.

How does one go about reinventing themselves? My experience included being lost for awhile, waiting in solitude for something "new" to do. I was no longer the one sought after to solve problems and fix things. I wasn't responsible for making things happen or being the bottom line. It was scary being all by myself and contemplating these things. I learned there was a difference between a Human Being and a Human Doer. You see, I was a great Human Doer. I prided myself in being a Human Doer. Someone had to do it, and I was good at it. Now, I am content being "just me" again.

The reinventing of myself has included changing my diet, exercising, and spiritual renewal. I know what I want, and I'm going after it. I want to be healthy in body, mind and spirit. Instead of reading "how to get better test scores", I now read inspirational books by Beth Moore, Max Lucado and Joyce Meyer, just to name a few. I've learned how to be "quiet". I know I am loved...loved by the Creator. I know I am worthy just being me...not because of what I do, but because of who I am...a child of God.

My creative side has blossomed again after many dormant years. I am adding order and warmth to my home. My friends and family have often told me I have a knack for putting things together in my home in interesting and pleasing ways. My home is very eclectic because I love so many different things and styles. I enjoy making flower arrangements with the wild flowers surrounding my home. I love making beaded jewelry which includes beads from old jewelry found in antique stores and my mother's and grandmother's old jewelry boxes. I often change the personality of my home with colors that I love (even if they don't always go together), my diverse collections of art and family photos. I have a closet in my home totally devoted to things I find that I "might have a use for someday"; these things appear and disappear from the rooms in my home seemingly as often as the wind blows. I am redefining spaces that fit my new life style. I am regularly attending church again. I entertain family and friends again and am bonding with my new granddaughter. I have seen her reach her first-year milestones...what a privilege that has been! I have reconnected with high school girlfriends and am learning to blog! I am living the life I missed for so many years and am grateful for this opportunity to live a simple life again.

It is my hope that you can relate to my story and that you will share your life with me. Are you reinventing your life...are you entering a new stage of life? Do you find peace with yourself, or are you struggling like I did in the beginning? Maybe we can help each other.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home